If you're looking for an alcohol alternative drink, look no further than adaptogen mocktails! These delicious and refreshing beverages can help you quit drinking, and they have a variety of other health benefits. In this blog post, we'll discuss what adaptogens are
, the benefits of mocktails with adaptogens, and how to make them yourself. We'll also provide a few recipes to get you started!
What are Adaptogens?
Adaptogens are herbs or other ingredients that help your body adapt to stress and maintain balance (see our FAQ
). They have been used in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic practices for centuries, but they have only recently gained popularity in the West due to their impressive health benefits.
Improve Cognitive Function
Some adaptogens, such as Rhodiola rosea, have been shown to improve memory and help protect against age-related cognitive decline. It is believed that this is due to their ability to increase the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, and serotonin.
Reduce Stress and Anxiety
are often used as natural remedies for stress and anxiety
. They work by helping your body adapt to various stressors, whether internal or external. For example, they are known to help the body cope with physical stress due to intense exercise or environmental stressors like pollution. They can also reduce anxiety by promoting a sense of calm and well-being.
Enhance Athletic Performance
Many athletes have started using adaptogen supplements as performance enhancers. This is especially common among persistent athletes like runners and cyclists, as they can help boost energy levels and improve endurance. Additionally, they may also help speed up recovery time after a strenuous workout.
Replace Alcoholic Drinks
One of the main benefits of adaptogen mocktails is that they can help you quit drinking alcohol. They work by reducing cravings for alcohol, preventing withdrawal symptoms, and improving overall mood and well-being.
Making Adaptogen Mocktails
If you're looking to incorporate adaptogen supplements into your daily routine, one of the easiest ways is by making your own mocktails! The great thing about them is that they are incredibly versatile, and you can use a variety of different adaptogens to create your perfect combination.
To start, you'll need to select the adaptogen ingredients for your drink. Some popular options include:
- Maca root
- Reishi Mushroom
Once you have chosen them, you can begin to experiment with different combinations. Some popular ingredients to use include:
- Fresh fruit (berries, citrus fruits, pineapple)
- Green tea or herbal teas
- Sparkling water or seltzer
- Herbs like mint or basil
What Are Some Good Mocktails With Adaptogens?
Ginger Lemon Paloma
A ginger lemon paloma is a refreshing and delicious alcoholic alternative drink made with ginger, lemon, and grapefruit juice. It is perfect for quenching your thirst on a hot day, and the addition of adaptogens makes it even healthier!
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- In a large pitcher, combine the seltzer water, lemon juice, ginger, and sugar. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into a glass and garnish with a wedge of lemon or lime, if desired.
- Enjoy your refreshing ginger lemon paloma!
Green Tea Mojitos
Green tea mojitos are another delicious and refreshing adaptogen mocktail. The combination of green tea, mint, lime juice, and sparkling water is sure to please your taste buds while providing a boost of energy.
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 green tea bags
- 4 cups sparkling water
- Ice cubes, to taste
- In a large pitcher, combine the lime juice, sugar, and mint leaves. Steep the green tea bags in hot water for 5-10 minutes, then discard the bags and add the tea to the pitcher.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then add the sparkling water and a handful of ice cubes.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with mint leaves if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your refreshing green tea mojito!
Turmeric tonic is a popular adaptogen mocktail that is loaded with health benefits. Made with turmeric, ginger, lemon juice, and sparkling water, this drink can help give you an energy boost while reducing inflammation in the body.
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups sparkling water
- Ice cubes, to taste
- In a large pitcher or jar, combine the ginger, turmeric powder, and lemon juice.
- Muddle or blend until smooth.
- Add the sparkling water and ice cubes, then stir until fully combined.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy your refreshing turmeric tonic!
Replacing alcoholic drinks with adaptogen mocktails is a great way to improve your overall health and well-being. The adaptogens in these drinks can help reduce cravings for alcohol, prevent withdrawal symptoms, and improve mood and energy levels. You can make your own mocktails using a variety of different ingredients, or try one of the recipes we've provided. Enjoying a healthy drink that replaces your usual alcoholic beverage is a great way to start making positive changes in your life!