If you're looking to start your day on the right foot, meditation might be the answer. A morning meditation routine can help you focus and relax before starting your day. In this guide, we'll teach you everything you need to know about it, from the basics to more advanced techniques. Plus, we'll share some calming drinks that can help you get into the meditative state faster. Are you ready to learn how to start your day right? Let's get started!
What is Meditation?
Beginning with the basics, meditation is a practice that involves calming your mind and focusing on the present moment. This can include deep breathing exercises, visualization techniques, or simply sitting in silence and clearing your mind of all thoughts. While there are many different types of meditation practices, it is generally recommended to start with a simple technique like guided or mindfulness meditation as you get started.
Different Meditation Practices
There are many different types that you can try, each with its own unique benefits. Some include:
- Mindfulness meditation: This practice involves focusing on your breath or a mantra to clear your mind and achieve a state of calmness and focus.
- Guided meditation: This type of meditation is guided by an instructor or recording, helping you to achieve a deeper state of relaxation and concentration.
- Zen meditation: Also known as "Zazen" meditation, this practice involves sitting quietly in stillness and focusing on your breath or a calming mantra.
- Breathing Exercises: Another simple form of meditation, breathing exercises involve focusing on your breath and deep abdominal breaths to achieve a calming state.
- Visualization techniques: Another type of calming practice, visualization techniques involve picturing a relaxing scene or calming image to help you stay focused and at the moment.
As you get started with your morning meditation routine, it's important to explore different types of practices to find what works best for you. Experiment with different techniques and take note of how each one makes you feel, so you can choose the best method for calming your mind and achieving a meditative state.
Calming Drinks for Meditation
When it comes to morning meditation, having a calming drink can help you get into the right mindset faster. Some of our favorite drinks for relaxation include:
- Herbal tea: Like chamomile, lavender, and peppermint are all known for their relaxing properties and can help you achieve a calm state fast.
- Green tea: Another great choice for relaxation, thanks to its mellow flavor and calming effects.
- Water: Often underestimated, water is one of the best beverages for relaxation. When you drink enough water throughout the day, it can help reduce stress and tension.
- Peaceful music: While not a relaxing beverage, peaceful music can also be a great way to relax and achieve a meditative state. Choose music with calming sounds or nature noises to help you focus and relax.
5 Reasons to Meditate in the Morning
Helps You Get Into a Happier Mood
When you meditate, the blood flow increases to your brain. This increase in blood flow brings more oxygen to your brain and makes it work better. It also relieves stress and anxiety by activating the parasympathetic nervous system. Doing this can help improve your mood and make you feel more positive about daily events!
Set Yourself Up for Success Throughout the Day
Meditation helps set our minds clear from thoughts that might distract us from accomplishing what we intend to do on any given day. If we are mindful throughout the day, we are less likely to get distracted by all sorts of different things that occur during our busy schedules! Spending just 10 minutes each day meditating can help us clear our minds for the rest of the day.
Helps Keep You Focused
Meditation also helps improve your focus throughout the day. It trains your brain to be more efficient and mindful while doing certain tasks at hand. This is done by increasing a part of the brain called grey matter in our prefrontal cortex, which controls higher-level thinking and decision-making!
You Will Feel Physically Recharged
Getting into a morning routine that includes meditation has been proven to increase one’s energy levels for most of the day, as well as lower cortisol levels (the stress hormone)! If you are having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night, then meditation may just be the answer to help you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling more refreshed in the morning!
You Will Feel Mentally Rejuvenated
Meditation has been proven to help with brain training as well. It helps us improve our memory, concentration, and focus better throughout the day. Meditating can also help improve anxiety levels by decreasing cortisol production while increasing oxytocin (the love hormone). This leads to feelings of happiness and positivity that we need each day!
All these benefits are just a few reasons why you should make meditation a part of your morning routine. The best time for you to meditate is whatever time works best for YOU! Give it a try – you have nothing to lose but stress, anxiety, and distractions! Good luck and happy meditating!