In a rush? Here’s a quick summary of this post:
- Nootropics are substances that enhance cognitive function, like memory and motivation, earning them the name "brain-boosters" or "smart drugs."
- Nootropics have a long history, dating back to ancient Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine.
- Nootropic drinks combine hydration and brain-boosting nutrients to support various cognitive functions.
- Nootropics provide a convenient and healthier alternative for busy individuals seeking mental and physical boosts in their daily lives.
- Nootropics allow us to better equip ourselves for the challenges of modern life, supporting health, focus, and productivity.
- Health benefits of nootropic drinks include improved memory, focus, reduced anxiety and stress, increased physical energy, and better sleep support.
- Moment uses carefully selected nootropic ingredients like L-theanine, ashwagandha, ginseng, Chaga, GABA, turmeric, Reishi and Tulsi (but not caffeine) for a balanced and side-effect-free experience.
If you want to know more about Nootropics and their health benefits, then keep on reading below!
A Brief Introduction to Nootropics
Have you been grappling with a frantic schedule and caught yourself reaching for that afternoon energy boost? Those days when the to-do list outstretches the day, and you long for a refreshing alternative to the traditional caffeine jolt. If you can relate, then step into the world of nootropics. Nootropics, often called "brain-boosters" or "smart drugs," are substances that enhance cognitive function, particularly executive functions like memory, creativity, or motivation. The health-boosting powers of nootropics are a regular focus of neuroscientist and tenured professor in the department of sciences at Stanford School of Medicine, Dr. Andrew Huberman, Ph.D. on his hugely popular podcast, The Huberman Lab, where he shares a wealth of information on science-supported nutrients for brain and performance (cognition) and general nervous system health.
Nootropics have rightfully earned their place in the wellness spotlight, proving to be a game changer for busy individuals seeking out healthy alternatives. But don't let the buzz mislead you. Nootropics are not some new-age invention. They, in fact, have a rich and ancient history tracing back to traditional Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine. While there are some more recent synthetic nootropics (developed in labs), nootropics are typically natural substances often sourced from plants and can come in different forms—pills, powders, or even drinks. That’s right! Imagine getting your daily brain boost just by sipping on your favorite beverage.
In this article, our goal is to present you with the most valuable, peer-reviewed research to keep you in the know about the uses and benefits of nootropics. So let's get started and tap into the potential of nootropics and learn how they can contribute to a healthier, sharper, and more focused you.
What are Nootropics Drinks?
So, what exactly are nootropic drinks? At their core, these beverages are a fusion of hydration and brain-boosting nutrients.
These "brain-boosting brews" have one simple yet ambitious purpose: to elevate your mental game while quenching your thirst. With each sip, nootropic drinks deliver compounds specifically designed to support various cognitive functions.
History of Nootropics
Historically nootropics have been used for thousands of years. As pointed to in the scientific research article Plant-derived nootropics and human cognition: A systematic review, published in the specialist food science journal, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, “plants and plant derived compounds have been used to prevent illness-related conditions and promote wellbeing since the dawn of time” with the inclusion in traditional medicinal practices documented in Ayurvedic medicine dating back to 6,000 BCE and in traditional Chinese medicine dating as far back as 5,000 years ago. Research also uncovered the use of nootropics in a host of other ancient medical practices, which include those in Egypt, Syria, and Arabia.
So, while your nootropic drink might come in a sleek, modern package, its core ingredients often draw from a deep well of ancient knowledge.
What Are the Health Benefits of Nootropics Drinks?
You can you expect the following benefits when you incorporate nootropic drinks into your health and wellness routine:
- Improved Memory and Focus - The carefully selected ingredients in nootropic drinks can help sharpen your memory and enhance your focus. Whether you're studying for an exam, working on a big project, or simply trying to stay sharp in your day-to-day life, a nootropic drink might be just the mental boost you need.
- Reduction of Anxiety and Stress - Modern life can often feel like a high-wire act, but nootropic drinks might just help you keep your balance. Certain nootropics have been shown to have calming effects on the mind, helping to ease anxiety and reduce stress levels.
- Boost in Physical Energy Levels - While nootropics primarily target mental performance, they can also provide a physical energy lift. Many nootropic drinks contain ingredients that can help you feel more energetic and less fatigued, a welcome bonus for anyone juggling a busy lifestyle.
- Relaxation and Sleep Support - Good sleep is fundamental to overall health and cognitive function. Some nootropic ingredients can promote relaxation and support a healthier sleep cycle, helping you wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day.
So, the next time you reach for a beverage, consider choosing a nootropic drink. It's more than just a refreshing option—it's a tasty path to a sharper, more focused, and more vibrant you!
Common Examples of Nootropic Ingredients Used in Beverages
The world of nootropics might initially seem all very new. But many of these substances are more familiar than you'd imagine.
What is Caffeine?
Let's start with a familiar face – caffeine. It's the world's most popular psychoactive substance, commonly found in coffee, tea, and now, nootropic drinks.
What Are the Benefits of Caffeine?
Caffeine's general benefits include increased alertness, improved mood, and enhanced physical performance. Its nootropic-related benefits are primarily its ability to boost cognitive functions like memory, focus, and reaction time.
What is L-theanine?
L-theanine is an amino acid found predominantly in tea leaves. It's known for its calming effects.
What Are the Benefits of L-Theanine?
The general benefits of L-theanine include promoting relaxation without drowsiness and reducing stress. As well as this, from a nootropic perspective, L-theanine has been shown to improve mental alertness, according to this study.
Browse our l-theanine drinks.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is the cornerstone of Ayurvedic medicine. This adaptogenic herb has been used for centuries for its wide range of health benefits.
What are the benefits of Ashwagandha?
High-level benefits include reducing anxiety, combating stress, and improving sleep quality. As a nootropic, ashwagandha is used to enhance memory, improve cognitive function, and support brain health, amongst other uses.
What is Ginseng?
Ginseng, a staple in traditional Chinese medicine, is revered for its revitalizing properties.
What are the benefits of Ginseng?
Beyond improving immune function and reducing inflammation, ginseng has also been found to improve psychologic function. The properties, which enhance brain functions like memory and mood make it a valuable addition to nootropic beverages. For more, check out this article featured in the medical journal, American Family Physician.
What is Chaga?
Chaga, a type of fungus commonly found on birch trees, is packed with antioxidants.
What are the benefits of Chaga?
In addition to its high-level benefits like boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation, Chaga may be beneficial for lowering cholesterol levels, slowing cancer growth, and reducing blood pressure. While research is still ongoing on the range of benefits, Chaga with its high level of antioxidants, makes a strong addition to nootropic beverages. For more on Chaga, check out this article.
GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid)
What is GABA?
GABA, a naturally occurring amino acid, acts as a neurotransmitter in your brain.
What are the benefits of GABA?
GABA is primarily known for reducing anxiety, improving mood, and promoting sleep. From a nootropic standpoint, GABA can help improve focus, relieve stress, and contribute to overall cognitive enhancement. For more on GABA, see 3 Amazing Benefits of GABA.
In the ever-evolving world of nootropics, these are just a few key players, each bringing its own set of benefits.
Improved mental alertness
All of our botanical waters
Enhanced memory, Improved cognitive function, and brain health support
All of our botanical waters
Enhanced memory and mood
Improved focus, stress relief and cognitive enhancement
What Nootropic Ingredients Do Moment Use in Beverages and Superfood Mixes?
In the world of nootropics, we at Moment differentiate ourselves through our care and commitment to only selecting the best ingredients to use in our beverages and superfood mixes. The goal is simple: harness the cognitive and wellness benefits of nootropics to support you, our valued customers, to feel renewed and ready to take on the world. Offering you a healthy alternative to boost your focus, support stress relief, improve immune system function, and reboot your energy. And when you need it, there’s a Moment for calming your mind and helping you enjoy a restful sleep.
You'll notice that all the nootropics we previously discussed - L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, Ginseng, Chaga, and GABA - are included in Moment's repertoire. However, notably absent is caffeine. Why is that? While caffeine has its benefits, it can also lead to side effects like jitteriness, increased heart rate, and sleep disruption. Moment aims to provide a more balanced, side-effect-free experience, which means prioritizing ingredients that deliver cognitive benefits without these drawbacks.
Moment also incorporates other beneficial ingredients such as:
- Turmeric - This is a potent ingredient recognized for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Emerging research suggests it may also contribute to cognitive health, including mood and memory enhancement.
- Reishi - Used traditionally as a health-promoting mushroom, Reishi is known for supporting immune health and stress reduction. There is also promising research on its potential neuroprotective effects.
- Tulsi - Also known as Holy Basil, Tulsi is an adaptogen used in Ayurvedic medicine that has shown potential for stress management and immune support. It may also hold potential for cognitive enhancement.
Enhancing Wellness, One Sip at a Time
Nootropics represent an exciting frontier in the world of cognitive enhancement and overall health. Born from both nature and science, they trace back to traditional medicinal practices and now are finding renewed relevance in our fast-paced modern lives. With the advent of nootropic drinks bringing benefits in a convenient format, offering you that mood, memory, or energy boost you’re looking for, Moment’s nootropic drinks range doubles as a tasty, refreshing, no-added sugar and healthier alternative to traditional stimulants such as coffee, or alcohol.
Ultimately, nootropics allow us to better equip ourselves for the challenges of our busy lives, underpinning the sustainable pursuit of health, focus, and productivity.
Discover the potential of nootropics today - browse our range of nootropic drinks here.